Monday, June 15, 2020

Index Card a Day 2020






The Index-Card-a-Day Challenge is for
developing a creative habit, making art on an
Index Card every day, for 61 days...
(ICAD-June through July).
One of my art buddies said we all need a 
name tag like the one above.  Fair warning, I
guess, to folks who don't know about or understand
how all-encompassing our art habit can be!

(No offense intended toward anyone actually dealing with
a serious addiction, please take this in the light-hearted
manner in which it's intended)




You can jump in any time for the ICAD challenge,
 no need to "catch up."
Visit the DaisyYellow blog to find out more.
 I'm sharing a few of my cards so far...
The first week I went with a very loose
interpretation of the theme: typography, symbols,
found text and lists.  There are prompts each day
 for those who would like to use them, 
but they're not required.




I used watercolor backgrounds and collage.  On an
index card, you have to be careful not to get too 
much water involved.  I painted up several to start, and
after they dried, I put them under a stack of books
to flatten them out again.  Many art journalers 
prep their pages by painting background first, so
this is a similar idea.  Special thanks to 
Maia, an Instagram penpal who
sent some of the ephemera I used in collages.




Found text from a book, above. You'd be surprised what 
interesting combinations can result from cutting
phrases from an old book.  Most of my collages
include line drawings and details added with
a felt tip pen as the last step.




Above, cards 8-11.  The second week theme
suggested was: mark-making and organic
shapes.  Can you tell which card was inspired
by my spoon jade plant?  Cards 7-10 are
collaged. Card 11 didn't seem (to me) to need
any collage...I managed to stop before I 
went 'too far.' if that makes any sense.




I was delighted to receive some gorgeous
mail art recently from Kate Y.  She even
decorated the envelope with a mermaid's
tail! Just look at all the scrumptious layers
 and sparkly goodness! The postcard features 
dangling golden tags which can be
tucked into areas of the collage. I love it!
I sent a swap/return postcard to Kate decorated
 in Egyptian themed designs, 'cause I heard
she enjoyed them. Hope it arrives safely.


Throwing this in just for fun, 'cause it makes me 
SMILE!
and...
in order to participate in Elizabeth's T Party,
 I need to show something drink related.


So here's a hamster in a tea cup!
Visit Altered Book Lover blog to join us for
a beverage and a chat.





16 comments:

  1. So good to see you here again Dianne! Love your style of illustrations and ICADS, and I remember trying something similar learned from you of course;) Love that llama ding dong- that will have me smiling for awhile! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ICADs. I am using used file folders I cut beforehand to 3 X 5. They take a beating and don't curl like ICs do. No need to wait, except for the water to dry if I use water soluble crayons.

    I'm thrilled you shared yours. They are so inspirational. You, Linda K, Cindy McMath, and Alison (a British friend) are all doing them. I would love to know more who are doing them, but I'm not on Instagram, so that keeps me from seeing what others are making.

    Wow, you got a beautiful postcard from Kate. I love it. She makes great layered art.

    How sweet is that hamster in the cup. Thanks for sharing your incredible collages and your drawn cup with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those cards, the ideas, the colors - and the hamster!
    A happy T-day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dianne, You've made so many lovely pieces of artwork, it's all very colourful too, The mail from Kate is lovely and what a lovely envelope.
    I love the hamster in a teacup!
    Happy T Day
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to have you with us this week Dianne. And I sure know about the art habit, as does my spare bedroom with is loaded to the gills. Smile. Loving your ICADS. I really must try some this summer just to see what the fuss is about. I like how you drew yours. And hurrah for happy mail too. Have a great T day and love the rama llama ding dong. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic art projects, the icads are fantastic and so much detail in each one. Its nice to meet you.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the collage against the watercolor background. And that adorable hamster! Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice to see you at T, Dianne. Good for you on the ICAD challenge. I love your hamster in a tea cup and lamma in sunglasses. YOur illustrations are wonderful!

    Happy T-Day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed seeing all of your icad's they are all wonderful! Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What amazing ICADs! I love how you combined your beautiful drawing with the collaged items - stunning 😁. The "Rama llama ding ding" made me smile, he looks so cool and I'm loving the sweet little mouse and bird too! Take care and Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your ICAD art pieces are fantastic. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your name tag made me chuckle. So true. Great crop of ICADS I like how the colors of the cards make them look like one series. Hamster in a teacup is so cute. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your style so very much!! Your journal pages always make me smile.
    Happy T day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to see you again Dianne.
    Sorry for the late comment. I have been out all day yesterday and Blogger doesn't like iOS so I have to wait until I get home and boot up the old desktop PC which only gets used on Wednesday to do the comments.
    And oh you made me laugh! The hamster in the teacup is so cute and the rama llama ding dong had me in stitches.
    Your index card art is really fab. Ten down, 51 to go...
    Sending you hugs,
    and a belated Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your ICADs are nothing short of amazing! Seeing your art makes me smile...always!! Rama Llama is brilliant!! I am finding all sorts of treasures in my craft room sort out - I think I am ever so slightly (ahem!!) addicted!! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love reading your diary entries with the cute little illustrations. Who cares if they were drawn a while ago, you did them yourself and that is what's so special.
    You should have entered this at Friday Smiles, as the hamster in the tea cup and the Rama llama doodah really made me laugh out loud.
    Your index card art is great. And I am in awe of the lovely postal art that Kate Yetter sent you. beautiful.
    I'm sorry I'm so late in commenting. I never got round to it.
    Sending you hugs,
    and a belated Happy T-Day!
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!