Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Tradition of the Madonna- for T Tuesday



Celebrating the tradition of the Madonna
for December 2013...from 2005,
the collaged cover of my first altered book, above.
Materials: vintage Madonna card, fabric, 
sewn on beads, watercolor and pen, 
vintage crochet, acrylic, and scrapbook paper.



I entitled the altered book
'Woman Perceived.'  Above, one
page in the altered book, created using
acrylics, cut paper ephemera, and fabric.



Above and below,
Collage and drawings from 2013.



"All the darkness in the world
cannot extinguish the light of
a single candle."
-St. Francis of Assisi



Sometimes color isn't necessary...
2000 drawing 'after Raphael's Madonna.'



Above, an art journal page from 2005,
Inspired by The Book of Kells, an illuminated 
manuscript that is extravagant and complex for its time,
full of symbolism and a wealth of ornamentation.
It was created by monks, so perhaps that is why 
Mary looks a bit like a man...no women in the monastery!

Joining Elizabeth for T on Tuesday
Enjoy some coffee or tea and visit a few
blogs while you enjoy your holidays~
may they be merry and bright!





10 comments:

  1. I can't believe that first photo was something you made in 2005. It just goes to show how talented you've been from the start. I would LOVE to see that first altered book.

    My favorite is the second photo. Women perceived is awesome. I think I like it so much because of the ransom style letters. That was fun and I can't believe I've forgotten how much I enjoy that aspect of altered art.

    I broke down and opened your gift to me. I was going to wait, but Bleubeard kept insisting. He wouldn't leave me alone until I did (grin). I am both in LOVE with this book and in AWE, too. I can see why you would want to made sure I got it. It puts the books I made to shame. I was impressed with the design, the binding, and the decorations. I loved the fabric and paper you mix so well together.

    BUT, I think the best thing was something you taught me (by example) when you added those circles to the "tags/inserts." I thought that was INGENIOUS. You realize I'm going to be copying that idea, don't you? Thank you again for this lovely book. I'm so, so grateful for this, which must have taken forever to make. I hope you show it on your blog, too, so I can ooh and aah over it all over again.

    Thank you for joining T today. I am so grateful for you, your friendship, and your lovely art you share so generously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, so nice to see you sharing with us today. I love seeing your artwork, beautiful!! I like that you do the same theme each year and shows a variety mediums.

    Have a Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have collected a lot of images. love what you have done with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your creativity is such a delight dear Dianne...
    Madonnas really speak to me...
    I bet it is amazing to get to turn the pages of your altered book!
    Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmastime...
    I am looking forward to a new year of friendship and creativity with you ♥
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to see your procession of Madonnas and how your art has developed with them.
    Thanks for sharing, I truly enjoyed it.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2005! That's about when I started my altered book journey as well. All of your pages are beautiful!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pages! Mary looks like a man? with bosoms maybe?, lol
    Happy T to you and a very Merry Christmas!!
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. what really beautiful art projects. Your sweet mug illustration is really fabulous!! happy T day and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful images, I can only imagine how they must glow in person.

    Wishing you a wonderful holiday season.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your altered books. I read Elizabeth comment and do hope you will share /give us a peek at her gift. Merry Christmas! and have a fab 2014! from Nan, T and Baby.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!