Monday, February 5, 2018

How To Do A Planner Page




How do I create a page in my
Hobonichi Techo? (daily planner)






 ○  Check the weather and temperature outside 
I use an app on my phone to check the 
temperature in my town, or just look out the
window! If you are a gardener, you may want
to check your rain gauge or how your
 plants are doing this season.

Record my steps from the day before
I use a FitBit to record my daily steps. 
I try to get 11,500 steps a day. (a little over
5 miles)  My grandson asked me why I
am "so obsessed" about exercise.  I tried
to explain that since I am Type II Diabetic,
exercise is part of my "medicine." Any 
other activity that you do could certainly
be recorded, like Zumba or Yoga.






Food, breakfast, baking
On this day I just drew my coffee cup,
toast, and my Hobonichi planner. You've
probably also seen a muffin or two on
my pages!

○ A project you're working on
like the fairy house I drew, above. I got
some E6000 adhesive and glued stones
to the outside of a birdhouse. My daughter
made a little door, and I camaflaged the round
bird entrance by gluing twigs around it to
look more like a window.






○ To Do List, or what happened that day
I am not so good at 'To-Do' lists. I usually
write down what happened after the fact!
Many times I will write appointments on a
small Post-It note and put it on the 
page for the day. That way my page
 isn't "messed up" if something
 doesn't happen or gets changed.



Add a quote or saying
This can be a lot of fun when I fine
something funny, (like the B.S. quote above!)
or you can go with inspirational quotes, or
even philosophical. It's up to you. Pinterest
is a great resource for quotes. But you can
also just type in to your browser:
"quotes about _____ " whatever you're
interested in. 




Challenges to illustrate or write about
I often draw from prompts in the monthly
Hobonichi Challenge, which can be found
on Instagram.  But there are days (or months)
that it doesn't strike my fancy, so I don't 
use the prompts. You don't have to be able
to draw. You can glue in magazine images
or write about the prompt-totally up to you.
There are lots of challenges on the intranet,
so you could probably find something
to suit your fancy.




Things you noticed or thought about
I don't usually get too philosophical or serious
in my Hobonichi, but there are days when
something just strikes you. If it's too personal
for me to post on my blog, I can just choose
not to post that page, or I can cover it up
with a flap, or temporary Washi tape. Those
of you who are tech-savvy could blur 
the writing before posting.

Use doodled borders, Washi tape, and stickers
Self explanatory I think. You can use to decorate
the space between items, top and bottom 
borders, or corners. I've noticed that if I want 
something to stand out a bit from the rest of the
text on the page, draw a little border around it:
dots and dashes, curlicues, lines, etc. I often
do this for quotes.

Vary the page layouts
It's easy to get in a habit of putting your
drawing or other decoration on the same
area of each page. I think it's more 
interesting if you change it up from page
to page. Look at a children's book. The 
illustrators often change the layout from
page to page to make the book more engaging.





Do fun stuff so that you will
have something to write about! This could
be a little like "which comes first, the chicken
or the egg?" Either way, it is great to have
new things to journal about... and if you
don't draw, you can stamp, paste or add
 photos to your journal.  I understand that 
there are some little cameras
out now that are like the old Polaroids,
but they make miniature photos.



All images from 2017, Dianne Bishop Carey


Don't feel that your life isn't interesting
 enough to journal about. It's all relative.
Your life is yours. You are the one who
makes it interesting. The Hobonichi company
had this on their site:
This is my LIFE.
I can’t trade it with anyone.
These are my days,
and they belong only to me.
This is my LIFE.
This is my BOOK.

LIFE BOOK.
Hobonichi Techo
How cool is that?!
Joining the T Tuesday gang for a 
nice warm beverage and a chat...
join us!



What would you put in your Life Book?



20 comments:

  1. Your life is FAR more interesting than mine, and you draw it so well, too. I was reading and saw Mardi Gras at the beach, I nearly fell over because I knew Mardi Gras hadn't happened yet. Then I saw it was from 2017. WHEW!

    Like you, I add my information at the end of the day. That way, I'm not scratching off items that don't happen. Of course, my calendar day consists of 1" squares, so since I don't write small, I don't get to say too much.

    I never think to use washi tape, I only use a couple of pens I keep next to my calendar, and I only write words and use stickers. I need to learn to stamp and add a few stamped images, possibly.

    Speaking of stamps, if you don't want to design STAMPS, like I keep begging you to do, then sell stickers that you copyright. Be sure to learn how to watermark your stickers with a copyright symbol that you remove when you sell the digital product.

    NICE review of how to create a planner page (or many pages). Hope you are enjoying your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pages and drawings! I so enjoyed seeing how you design your pages too, you have so many sources of inspiration - perfect 😁. I can relate to your journalling as I use my art journal pages to capture and express my life and get inspired by everyday things which I love; memories to me are so very precious! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pages as always love your drawings-and good tips for journaling
    Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like a fool. I had NO idea this was your T Tuesday post. Thanks for sharing it with the T gang. BTW, that is, from what I can tell, a 1955 Ford you asked about. The one car (black), I only saw the front of, so couldn't find any information on the internet. Yes, the other two red ones were Corvettes. Newer, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for explaining how you make your wonderful journal, I always love seeing the little illustrations and what you have been up to. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, that´s Kind of a super tutorial, i think i might Bookmark this post!! (i can even imagine to be it for use in my fabric scroll, e.g. using ribbons instead of washi tape etc).
    SUPER!! thank you! and happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always your pages are full of interesting drawings and information. It was good to read how you design the pages and your thoughts that help to create them.
    Happy T day wishes
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Dianne-so impressed with your fabulous pages and drawings!! You have offered some of the best tips I have seen or read-perfect for inspiring anyone to jump in. Thank you for so generously sharing, and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very inspirational !!!
    Love all the little details like the weather and your steps.
    I will definitely use some of your ideas as well a few of my own that I haven’t tried yet.
    What does T Tuesday stand for?
    Enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristine~ Tea Tuesday is a blog hop hosted by Elizabeth at the Altered Book Lover blog. The only requirement to join in is to show a beverage somewhere in your post. I think it originally started out focusing on tea, but has gradually evolved to any beverage you'd like to share...and mine are usually drawings rather than photos. It's a very loose interpretation of the theme, and anyone in blog land is welcome to join. Quite a few people share art creations in their posts, but 'Tea' or 'T' are creatively interpreted. It's a fun way to visit blog friends each week. We try to visit each T Party participant and leave a comment. If you have a blog or website, join us! Blogger is free. :)

      Delete
    2. OOps! forgot to mention that I just placed a link within this post to Altered Book Lover blog... there's also a link in the Sidebar.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful tutorial! Thank you for sharing Dianne! You are such an inspiration!
    Happy T-Day!
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make it sound so easy! You make me want to do it! Thank you for your wonderful tips! Who knows, maybe I will start one! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so love reading your journal. And I am sure you will enjoy reading yours in years to come (and remembering). Yes, I am sure they have evolved quite a bit.
    Thank you for the tutorial.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your journal pages, and this: "Do fun stuff so that you will have something to write about" is my favorite part :) You certainly stay busy. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If only it were all that easy.... :) Lately mine would be all about how many Kleenex I've used and how many cups of tea I've drank. Your pages always look so great.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Happy T Day!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post Dianne. I like seeing what you think about when you journal. I think about many of those too. I also like to add a word for the day (my new 2018 thing) and fun little facts I may come across. And keep it fresh with variety. No wonder why your pages are so much fun to look at. :) Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love reading your process for writing your planner! I try to add my drawings, cut out, tape etc during the week I am in but it doesn't always happen! Love the quote idea! Of course your drawings are superb! I am so pleased I started to keep a planner as well as my calendar journal though - it's good to look and see where my plans went awry! I would have commented sooner but we have been away to our caravan and the connection was dreadful! Belated Happy T day!Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to be so late, Dianne, ... busy week. Fabulous post!! I really needed this. Great tips. I love your style of journaling. So that's the direction I'm struggling to go. Now I have a road map ;-) I hope you don't mind that I printed it out, so I can have it on hand where I journal. Thanks so much!!

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I forgot to mention how clever and adorable the fairy house is!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!