Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Star Wars: May in my Hobonichi

Click on any image to enlarge


Hobonichi drawings this month are
inspired by Star Wars!  Some things
I've learned from the movies:
"Never underestimate the locals."




"Hey, maybe those WERE the
droids we were looking for..."




May the 4th has more than one connotation.
It's a fun play on words for "May the Force be
with you," but also the anniversary of the
Kent State shootings.




Road trip to Tennessee: visited the Loveless
Cafe with my son's family.  A 1 1/2 hour wait
to be seated! A long-standing cafe, been in
business since 1951. The southern biscuits
were 'melt-in-your-mouth' good!

We also visited a used bookstore, where I
bought a copy of Danny Gregory's book
"An Illustrated Life."  Wonderful drawings
from many artist's sketchbooks, and their
thoughts about their journals. I 
recommend it.



continuing the Star Wars
theme for the month...
wonder if I will run out of 
characters to draw?




Villains...




and heroines.  I love Padme's formal
make-up. Reminds me of a Geisha.
And that elaborate hair...




My grandson is a fan of the bounty
hunter Boba Fett. Otherwise he would
not even be on my 'radar.'

Luke Skywalker wishing for adventure...


When we were driving home from Tennessee,
I spotted a house with about 25 pink flamingos
out front. It was so funny...and made me think
of a gift idea for my mom for Mother's Day.
(below)




I counted 5 beverage cups in my post today, 
so I am linking up for T Tuesday over at
Altered Book Lover's blog. Stop by for
adventures and a chat!



Bumper sticker seen on the road:
"Dead men tell no tales."
Does that mean "Don't mess with me," or--
the driver is a PIRATE?!



20 comments:

  1. What a wonderful selection of illustrations you are sharing today in your journals, I am most impressed! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful stories, great tales, beautiful drawings, impressive plays on words. I enjoyed them all. I enlarged the images to read every word you wrote. I'm a snoop, that's for sure.

    Thanks for sharing your Star Wars characters, your fun stories, and your coffee mugs with us for T this Tuesday. Did you know that yesterday was George Lucas' birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I am always loving your illustrations-you are a genius! Love the star wars theme and those flamingos too.
    Your art is always just awesome.
    Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. spectacular Star wars illustrations Dianne!! Such a pleasure to peruse your planner pages. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your Star Wars figures and drawings are Fabulous. All the pages you shared have so much detail, I have spent ages looking at them all.
    Happy T day wishes Dianne.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Star Wars is such a great theme for the month of May, I always wish my hubby - May the 4th be with you ...lol 😉. Your drawings are amazing, you have captured the characters perfectly - I love it! Sending you Happy T Day wishes! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvelous pages, Dianne. We just watched "The Last Jedi" but still prefer the original "Star Wars." Yoda looks very sad - as well he should - with the date coincidence you mentioned.

    Thank you for the Danny Gregory "An Illustrated Life" book recommendation. I'm obsessed with jounraling this year. I may have caught it from you. I admire your illustrations immensely.

    Loved your pink flamingo story. Now I'm wondering what your mom will do with them.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Star Wars drawings were wonderful. Made me smile. The house with all the flamingos was flocked. Sometimes this is done to raise money for charities. I love pink flamingos. They were invented in Worcester, MA. The artist that sculpted them out of plastic for a plastics factory in late 50s was Don Featherstone. When Featherstone passed away in 2015, the courtyard and grounds of the Worcester Art Museum were filled with hundreds of the pink plastic birds in homage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Star Wars images are so amazing. We are huge Star Wars fans in our house. My son would especially love your Yoda. Padme always has the most gorgeous outfits! You are right, so much like a Geisha.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you've explained it elsewhere, but what is hobonichi? And, my money's on the fact he's a pirate. Watch yer drivin' there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JEN- a Hobonichi is a brand of Japanese planner that has Tomoe River Paper, which is wonderful for fountain pens and watercolor painting. Even though it is a planner, I also use it for memory keeping and drawing. My A6 size is only about 4"x6", which means the drawings are pretty tiny, but the small size makes it convenient for me to carry with me everywhere. You can search "Hobonichi" online and view the website of products for sale, and there are Facebook groups for Hobonichi users. I think I'm in a bit of a 'cult!' lol! I love this little journal!

      Delete
    2. Here's a really good description of the Hobonichi on the JetPens web site: https://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-the-hobonichi-techo-planner/pt/900

      Delete
  11. so cool to concentrate on the star wars characters! shame on me i never heard (or remember) the 4th may Shooting... so important to remember such Dates.
    have a good week, see you in a fortnight:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Star Wars sketches are amazing. And sounds like a fun little road trip...I'd say the Force has been with you this month. Ha-ha! I'm late for evening T, got my eye dialated at the eye doctors and it put me down all night. Hope it was a good one. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed your journal pages. I'm not all that tuned in to Star Wars but I did recognize some of the images. I think your gift to your Mom was great. I read the small print to see she liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pages are fabulous as always Dianne! Just adore your Star Wars illustrations and your Yoda rocks! I want to be you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such a pro Dianne - I so love your pages and your star Wars illustrations are out of this world beautiful!
    Happy belated T-Day, sorry for my late visit- life got into the way!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could look at your journaling pages ALL day long! So creative and colorful! You are a talented artist for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful Star Wars sketches Dianne!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!