Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Tunnel Books and Other Structures



Having my morning coffee and linking up
for Elizabeth's T Tuesday blog hop. Today 
I am showing a few books that I made
 in a Book Structures class taken
from Debra Bachelder at the Marion (Ohio) 
Public Library. The class was funded by the 
Ohio Arts Council.  Above, some of the 
books we made during the seven week class.




A Tunnel Book. (many art book structures have
 more than one technique that can be used
 to construct them) My subject inspiration 
was a Georgia O'Keeffe landscape.




Each 'page' added another  layer to the scene.




The view from above shows the construction.
Each page was adhered to an accordion
binding on the sides. Planning the layers of 
images and the order in which they were to be
viewed was an important part of making it 
work. Some thumbnail sketches 
helped with the planning.




An accordion book, with single pamphlets
stitched into the 'valley folds' of the pages.




"Two Sewn as One" booklet, which uses
the pamphlet stitch for the binding. The collage
on the cover is from paper scraps and doodles.




A rather dark photo, attempting to show
that beads were inserted between the
two sections of pamphlet stitch. The beads
give the binding some flexibility, and also
look attractive. Waxed linen threads were
used for stitched structures. 




Decorative papers within the book covered
each pamphlet. (Debra provided absolutely 
gorgeous papers for the class!) You can
 see here that a small folded section
 of the outside cover is folded in
to separate the two pamphlet sections.

I have more books to share from this class,
but plan to show them next week.  I am 
particularly pleased with how the Flag Book
turned out!




I can't complete a blog post without sharing
some drawings from my Hobonichi Techo journal.
The Sea Creatures theme for the month of
June has been quite a challenge, in
more ways than one!


Click on any image to enlarge

A Leafy Sea Dragon is one of the many
sea creatures that I learned about.




Sea Otters are so adorable. They collect 
mollusks and use their tummies as a 'table' on
which to crack open 'lunch' with a rock!




Who knew that slugs could be so pretty!?
And so different in shape and color.

You can visit Altered Book Lover's blog
to see more T Tuesday posts. Stop by
for a beverage and a chat!



20 comments:

  1. more fabulous sea life drawings Dianne! I especially love the sweet otter. Your book making is fab too. I used to teach some of those classes but honestly- not my favorite thing to do so I haven't made a book in a long time:) Looking forward to seeing the others you made. happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful journal pages as always, and I love the books you made, they are absolutely fantastic. Happy T Day, hugs Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to learn how to make some books-those were quite interesting and different. Loving your art!
    Happy T Day
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many wonders to enjoy on your blog today!!!! Love the little sea otter ♥ Your book look amazing! Happy T Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous drawing in your journal books, loved your version of the sea creatures.
    The books you made look awesome, the tunnel one is fabulous and a lovely scene.
    Happy T day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thanks for introducing me to tunnel books and other structures - they are amazing and such beautiful works of art 😀. So glad you shared your Hobonichi Techno journal too, the sea otters are adorable! Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! That book making class sounds like so much fun!!! I liked seeing your photos from that, as well as the sea creature drawings from you journal. I agree with you--otters are adorable. Have a Happy T Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made some fabulous books in your class. It looks like it was worth your time. I particularly love the idea of the tunnel book. Your Georgia O'Keeffe inspiration made a great book.I am loving your sea creatures too. That would be a fun challenge for me. Hope its been a good T day so far. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tunnel book is fab! I've been thinking a lot about more 3D projects...layers upon layers but having that space or distance between each. I'm not sure if it's going anywhere other than my mind but the concept and process is very intriguing.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that class must have been great! and i just love the leafy sea Dragon. i think he belongs to the Family of seahorses, which are my favorite fish! great sketches (as always) - happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My! What great collection of books! This must have been so much fun! Once again your sketches are wonderful! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've tried to leave a message three times today and my internet has gone down. I'm hoping it's now back and isn't flaking on me.

    I've seen tunnel books before, but none like the one you made. It took me awhile to realize you don't turn the pages, like the ones I've seen in the past. An example includes ones made by Ingrid Dijkers. Yours is very unique and I really like it.

    Flag books are so much fun. I've made three and they all went to people I've known from blogland. I even wrote a tutorial on how to make one a few years ago. I look forward to seeing yours. I'm sure it will be stunning and beautiful. I "assume" the class was free. Free is always good, and you came away with some incredible art, too. Wish our library did that.

    I loved seeing the beautiful drawings this week, including the sea otter. Sorry, but I do not like slugs at all. They are not welcome in my garden. and mine is certainly NOT as colorful as yours was.

    Thanks for sharing these wonderful handmade books and your journal pages, as well as your coffee for T this Tuesday. It was good to see the books sitting on your work table, along with your coffee, too.


    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea! It actually published this time. I have no idea why I had so much trouble with my internet going on the fritz before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fab class - a great collection of books!
    Ans as so often I am in love with your wonderful sketches and pages!
    Happy belated T-Day from me!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your books look wonderful. I've made several styles but never a tunnel or flag book. Will look forward to seeing the other books you made.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hadn't Heard of tunnel books but yours looks absolutely delightful! As do the others.
    I love seeing your drawings of sea creatures. The cuttle fish is a really good likeness.
    A belated happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that wonderful tunnel book! The depth adds so much. It'd look great framed. The class sounds like a lot of fun :)

    Happy T Tuesday (on Wednesday)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your books and pamplets are marvelous, Dianne! Your O'Keeffe-inspired tunnel book is amazing. That must have been a fun class.

    I'm glad you can't complete a blog post without sharing some drawings from your Hobonichi Techo journal. Like you said, the sea otter is adorable. You did it justice.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of wonders in this terrific post. Love the tunnel picture.

    Happy T Day as well

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your books are great, and I love your journal page. Lots of things I want to try. Happy belated tday

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!