Thursday, September 15, 2016

County Fair Sketches



I attended the (Ohio) Fulton County Fair
a couple of times, and managed to
get some sketching done.  I used a 
Sharpie pen, Prismacolor watercolor
pencils, and a water brush. After finishing
the goat sketch, above, I began second-
guessing my rendering of the goat's legs,
and their proportion.(see my notes
on the page, click to enlarge)
 I tried to focus on the face, and awareness
 of the page layout. I want to break up
 the space on the page in an interesting way.




I signed up for Roz Stendahl's on-line class called
which you can learn more about on her blog,
Roz Wound Up.  I like that the class is "at
your own pace," as life has a tendency to throw interesting situations at us at 
unexpected moments.  So far, I am learning
a lot about how to make a variety of page
styles, the impact of how the text is placed
on the page, and the impact of dark and
light areas in the overall composition. A lot
to think about, but it gets easier and more
intuitive with lots of practice!




Animals tend to move around...especially
just as you are trying to capture a 
particular feature! This cute Netherland 
Dwarf Rabbit was so fluffy, his face reminded
me of a toy teddy bear.  Of course he hopped
to the opposite side of the cage about half-way
through the drawing.




I'm still faithfully jotting down notes
and drawing in my Hobonich Techo.
Here's one of the days we went to
the fair. Entries were drawn before we
left, and then the next day.

Hoping to get back in the swing of posting
to the blog more regularly.  Trouble with
technology, and life transitions can make 
it difficult.  Daily art journaling helps
 keep me sane. Or, at least what
 passes for sane at our house! We all
have our own quirks...




8 comments:

  1. What a joy to see your lovely animals. I enjoyed the fact that you have learned so much already, although I somehow feel you could probably teach the class yourself, since you are the one person I know who truly keeps an art journal.

    These are all lovely, and I hope life settles down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think it would be really difficult to capture animals or people because they are always moving. Great pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I haven't been around for quite a while but I do still get your newsletter and always enjoy seeing your work and these animals are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this fair sketches-especially the pig. He (she) looks so content. I hope he isn't planned to becomes an Easter ham. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always so taken with your drawings and journal pages...everything looks super to me.
    That pig is excellent. I would be over the moon to be able to draw a goat like you did Dianne!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH your rabbit drawing is so sweet...I can picture his little nose twitching and the softness of the fur.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful drawings Dianne! We love County shows! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!