Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rusty Swap Pages



There's something about being in an Art swap 
that can get you thinking outside the box. 
Often you are given a subject or color or
 material to work with that you don't normally
 use.  Very good for making your brain
 look for alternative solutions.

Elizabeth has received her Rust Pages
from me, and has asked me to post 
them. Above, painted card stock,
scrapbook paper, fabric, and brass ornament.




Collage and pocket with tag. I used
text and images from a vintage book,
fabric, magazine scrap and a vintage button.
Paint is either acrylic or gouache in
Burnt Sienna. Please pardon the blurry
scan. The 3 dimensional quality of the
button causes that, but I felt you'd still
get a better view than from a photo.




Assorted papers, brass label frame, thread,
washer and tiny key. Acrylic paint and 
permanent marker used to 'rust up'
the metal washer.




Corrugated cardboard, book text,
computer generated text, acrylic 
paints and gesso.



My favorite page! The old truck is from a 
roadside photo that I took with my phone in
2015. I think it was at a truck stop in Kentucky
or Alabama. This old gem was just sitting 
out front as a decoration, I guess!
Watercolor and Sharpie pen on 
watercolor paper.  The license plate was
drawn and painted from an image on the 
internet. The license plate is definitely
my favorite part. The metal clip prompted
the painted swirls on the next page...





Acrylic, assorted papers, and computer-
generated text:
"Patina- a surface appearance of
something grown beautiful with
age or use."

Of course, there was quite a bit of
coffee consumed while creating
these pages, and while creating 
this post... Linking up with Elizabeth
for her T Tuesday T party...
drop by for some inspiration and
a cup of tea. (or coffee!)




16 comments:

  1. I'm in LOVE with my rusty pages, Dianne. Thanks for sharing them. Like you, the license plate is my favorite, but I really love the first page you showed with the sewn fabric and brass ornament.

    I was shocked when I read that you didn't rust the washer. It really, really looks like it had been sitting in a rusty solution for days. Getting that grungy look and feel from paint and markers made me sit up and take special notice.

    Thanks, too, for the wonderful "extras" you included in the swap. I am so appreciative. And thanks for showing these. I hope to show them on my blog on Saturday. I hope you don't mind if I copy these from the blog. It will save me from having to scan them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome rusty pieces! And I love the truck piece too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what fantastic rusty projects Dianne-you did a great job! I know what you mean about swaps taking you out of your comfort zone-the best learning experiences I have had were in swaps. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those colors! Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE all rusty things - what a wonderful post. i think my fave also is the Piece with the licence plate!
    happy t-day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth must be over the moon happy with this wonderful rusty art! AMAZING!
    I also admire this super truck and your watercolor page with the cup!
    Always amazing art Dianne!
    Happy T-Day!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do enjoy rust of all kinds and your pages turned out brilliantly Dianne.
    I always think of how my father would cringe as he spent most of his life polishing his shoes and fighting rust LOL (he did lots of other things too of course...but rust was not his friend so to speak)
    Elizabeth must be totally delighted with your offerings!
    The truck is wonderful too and the license plate is perfection.
    Happy T Day
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some very great pieces here today! I'm sure Elizabeth was thrilled with it all. Thanks so much for sharing. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rust theme pieces all look great. But my favorite is the truck. It looks awesome.
    Happy T day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great swap pieces! I love rust color, and burnt orange and terra cotta etc.
    But best of all I liked the truck. What a beauty. How wonderful that you were able to draw it.
    Is your name really Bishop Carey? In the UK we had a bishop Carey, called George Carey. He became Archbishop, the highest post in the church of England. But before that he was bishop in our diocese of Bath and Well, and I knew him personally. He is a great guy.
    Happy Easter if you celebrate that, if not have a great week anyway,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again, I am SO in awe of these tip-ins, Dianne. I love each and every one of them. As I said before, I also LOVE all the extras, as well as the large envelope it came in. Saved me a bunch of money because I made SO many pages for Norma and they were ALL dimensional. But of course, I am in total awe of your drawing abilities, and the skills you bring to the table. Now you know why I asked you to join this swap. You make fantastic art that is totally different from everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to say thanks for sharing these AND your adorable cup of coffee with us for T this Tuesday. Sorry I'm late, but I knew I would be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful rusty stuff. The collage pages are great and different, the recipients of the tip in's will be excited to receive them. I'm enchanted by the truck drawing though. I think I've seen that truck (new) somewhere in my childhood, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH WOW!! Love the rust pages. Makes me wish I'd been a part of this swap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do you think of all these things? You all are much more creative than I am--LOL! Awesome truck page, too!!
    Best to you. Love, Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so beautiful Dianne and I know Elizabeth loves them all! You have set the bar very high and I hope that my pages that are on the way to you don't disappoint! My favourite is the rusty old truck - your drawing is amazing! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!