Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Ten Things You Should Know About My Hobonichi Journaling Obsession



Ten Things You Should Know About My Hobonichi Journaling Obsession

10.) Don't Judge ~ we all have our obsessions, right? For some people it's tattoos or jewelry, antiques or show tunes from musicals. For me, it's journaling and drawing in my Hobonichi Techo (nearly) every day.




9.) Try It Yourself ~ Anti-digital may become a New Thing. It may be faster, easier or 'efficient' to set a date or an alarm on your digital device, but actually writing something down can be rewarding and effective. Writing it down makes something that is abstract a little more concrete and real. Generations have written diaries and drawn in sketchbooks. They are now records of the times. In a fast-paced world with so many digital options, slowing down enough to write it down on paper is a fun way to document your experiences!




8.) Google It! ~ Educate yourself about it. There are so many ways to use a Hobonichi Techo.  Of course we are crazy about the excellent quality of the paper. I collage, draw, paint and record the mundane and the interesting. Other uses could include a bullet journal - food/exercise/drink diary - gratitude journal - study journal - sketchbook - calligraphy workbook...  One of my art friends said that my Hobonichi shows that I am practicing 'Mindfulness' each day. What did you notice today? What impacted your day? Visit the Hobonichi website for videos and pictures of how others use their journals.



7.) You Can Never Have Too Many Supplies (or Hobonichi Covers)! ~ Well, not as long as you're actually using them all! (Edit: or maybe just looking at them brings you joy!) I try not to buy too much stuff, but there are a lot of products to tempt us. Not only art supplies, but stationery supplies too! Think of it as contributing to the world economy...



6.) Explain Why You Love It To Your Family ~ Or, at least try... if they don't understand how important it is to you, they may not give you the time/space you need. And your Hobonichi obsession gives friends and family a great resource for buying you gifts for the holidays and birthdays!


More will be added to the right-hand page...


5.) Research Products Before You Buy Them For Me ~ The Tomoe River paper in the Hobonichi takes watercolors well, but certain pens bleed through the thin paper. Ask for a list of products that are acceptable or check on-line for the information. Dye-based inks will bleed through the paper!

4.) Everything is Fodder For The Journal ~ Fair Warning. If you said/did something hysterical/wise/cute, it will go into the journal. It might get posted on-line. (within reason, of course. or, maybe not.) 



3.) The Hobonichi FB Group is a Bunch of Enablers ~ Yes, you can join a FB group that is all about Hobonichis. Several, in fact. And you will see every product or cover known to man. And the group may...ok, they will... enable you to justify more purchases for your Hobonichi!  You've been warned. But it's practically the only place where people understand this obsession! You can see a lot of posts of different styles of journaling. The group is very supportive of efforts and styles of planner use, and extremely willing to share information. I love it.



2.)  I Take My Hobonichi Everywhere ~ You'll have to wait for me to gather my Hobonichi, pen case, and watercolor pencils before I can leave to go anywhere. Even to the grocery. Because, you know, I might need to draw broccoli...




1.) If I'm Journaling, I'm In The Zone ~ Give me a few minutes to come back to reality. If you need something from me, don't expect me to drop everything.  I can't stop in the middle of a drawing! Can't. Fix. Your. Supper. Right. Now.




Linking up and sharing tea and my 'Ten Things' with the bloggers visiting Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Tuesday. Click on the link to share a visit and a beverage with other bloggers.

What is your current obsession?

17 comments:

  1. Me? I don't have any obsession, apart from....hmmm, not enough space to write about them all. Enjoy your hobonichi journaling, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a beautifully written post with proof in the pictures!! It is a joy to see your daily pages Dianne. #7- I really like that one:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - your pages are AMAZING Dianne! You are the
    Hobonichi- Queen in my eyes! Fabulous thoughts as well!
    Happy T-Day!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was too funny Dianne...lol I just love to see your journaling and often think i would love to take my 30+ years of journaling in this direction.. I'am coming to the end of a journal now and seriously thinking of adding art to my journaling in a new book...Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say this is a beautiful obsession to have and I love your post! I've just shared your Top 10 with my hubby as many of them apply to my obsession too, which is Art Journaling :-) . As I don't draw, I tend to take my camera everywhere rather than my journal and pens, then drive everyone crazy taking photos ... lol :-) . You have created such beautiful drawings and pages this week too. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, i will never do it myself, but you do it so greatly, i´m always enjoying your pages so much!
    happy t-day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jumping up and down with delight at your post!!! I have always admired your journals, and they have inspired me to start my own style.....but I need to loosen up and journal more like you do.....your such an inspiration when it comes to journals.
    Happy T-day and cheers to each of our obsessions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an awesome post Dianne. I REALLY enjoyed it. I am glad to know there is a journal with good pages-I am definitely going to get one next year. And I love your comment about getting offline and doing something the old fashion way-how much better is that! Thanks for sharing these reasons. You've convinced me. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a paper artist but I really enjoy viewing what others create and I never judge anyone
    Happy T day

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is quite an obsession, but we all have them in one form or another, so I will say your pages show how much you enjoy and love your journaling. Its always good to visit and read your posts.
    Happy T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your journal are such an inspiration Dianne! I am enjoying my cheap planner at the moment but suspect that by the end of the year I will want to move up a notch so may be picking your brains!! I do believe my lettering is improving with practice too! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your obsession is a gift to us again and again dear Dianne!
    Thank you for sharing your passion and talent.
    "You might have to draw broccoli" made me giggle.
    Happy T Day oxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the queen of Hobonichi Techo. You present a compelling argument, if only I knew how to draw and could grip a pen for more than two minutes. Your obsession is wonderful, and I am always impressed when I visit.

    Wish I had been here sooner, because I wasn't a very good host today. I especially LOVE the mixed media entry, and the one at the grocery store. But of course, the cups and mugs always make me smile. Thanks for sharing these wonderful ten reasons you make these art journals with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome post! I have to admit that when I 1st started following you, Dianne, I didn't even know what a Hobonichi Techo was. I only knew I loved your journal pages. Then I Googled it. I was stunned by the prices but I totally get it. I always enjoy seeing your pages. So I'm tempted; but 1st I have to get through Life Book 2017 - my current obsession ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Dianne! I love seeing your beautiful journaling online and in-person. I need to take a lesson from you in journaling the mundane as well as the momentous. I tend to forget to do the little things. I had to laugh at your note about being "in the zone" and that dinner will have to wait! Different priorities for you and Doug at the moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So here I am doing a belated comment. We've been away for a few days for my birthday and the campsite did not have wifi or electricity (my laptop battery is knackered and I can use it only on mains power). We had a lovely few days with good weather. Thank you for the birthday wishes.
    Wonderful! I just love looking at your journal entries and your drawing. Yes, I like the broccoli too. Liike Eileen, I had never heard of a Hobonichi Techo, until I read your blog.
    Have a great weekend,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing these, they are inspiring! I especially love the sun which reminds me of old woodcuts. My techo is mostly a sprawling mess of bad handwriting, but one can dream!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!